Thursday, September 20, 2007

Lawmaker questions state officials' support of tolling interstates

The Department of Transportation is lobbying to "buyback" some of the major roadways in Texas to eventually make them toll roads that were once interstate highways. The plan enclosed in a report called Forward Momentum, also eludes to the fact that private companies will be asked to complete these jobs and should receive tax breaks while doing so. Chris Lippincott, a spokesman for the department stated that all plans will go through local government such as county-commissioners to approve in order for them to move forward. Approvals must also be received from the taxpayers. Senator Jon Corona-D from Dallas stated "I think it's a dreadful recommendation on the part of the transportation commissioners here in Texas," then going on to say, "I feel confident that legislators in Austin would overwhelmingly be opposed to such an idea," and "The simple fact is that taxpayers have already paid for those roadways. To ask taxpayers to pay for them twice is untenable." We must continue to watch this issue not only because the taxpayers of Texas have already payed their dues "twice" on this matter but also if the components of the plan changes will the minds change of our lawmakers?

Austin American Statesman

2 comments:

Roni Taylor said...

I appreciate article! I agree with all you’ve had to say and believe Texans are being robbed by the toll roads. I think your discussion about private companies building state highways and receiving a tax breaks while doing so is the epitome of what makes Texas politics unattractive.
As you stated we’ve already paid for the roads. Furthermore, the Austin American Statesman recently reported the toll roads are being utilized 50% to 75% more than expected. In my opinion this report indicates more revenue than expected. How does TXDOT spend this money? The TXDOT also published their plan to eventually increase toll rates in 7 to 10 years. This is ridiculous! I feel compelled to get involved if TXDOT’s newest plan to turn interstates in to toll roads progresses. I can’t imagine additional toll roads getting past voters. I don’t think enough people gave the current toll roads any mind but I am willing to bet the next vote will have an increased turnout.

Roni Taylor said...

So it seems I am not the only one interested in what Patrick Rose is up to. Rose appeared predictable when I watched the Rose V. Green documentary in class. Rose appeared to have good motives and someone who would truly fight for the people. The Water Fight in Caldwell County supports my beliefs that he’d be young, bold and a little arrogant. He’s crossing paths with a longtime mentor and I think it’s noble. I also wondered if his good looks and age would work against him and the commentary in the articles “Rose doesn’t always know….” Indicates the good ol’ boys are taking their cheap shots. Good for you Rose, I encourage you to keep on keeping on. Before I convince you I am completely sold, it’s still in the back of my mind that the federal investigation against his strong incumbent Patrick Green was lifted after Rose won the election.